12.30.2011

What am I now?


Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith. 2 Corinthians 13:5

One of the most difficult steps in spiritual growth is making the time to examine one’s own heart.  We live in a time and place that constantly distracts us from looking within.  However, spiritual growth always starts when we ask the question:  “What am I now?” 

Today I am reading a collection of prayers by John Wesley.  In today’s reading Wesley asks:  Is the Sprit of adoption now in your heart?  Make the appeal to your own heart:  Are you not the temple of the Holy Spirit?  Does He now dwell in you? 

As we end this year it is customary to look ahead to what is next.  To set goals for what we want to happen and who we want to be in the next twelve months.    Before doing this I encourage you to a make some space to ask the question: What am I now?  Take some time to pray and carefully examine your heart and life to see what is there. 

If you are honest you will no doubly see both the good and bad of your heart.  Take some time to examine this.  Sit in it and don’t rush past.  In many ways this is the human condition.  However, it does not have to be the end.  Take this time to ask for forgiveness from God and move forward.  A New Year awaits and His mercy is new.  A fresh start is only a day away!

Happy New Year.






2 comments:

  1. I have just been thinking of this very thing lately. I've been reading a book about it by Larry Crabby. Thanks for the post'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent Post Mike. Might use it tomorrow in my message from Galatians around just "Doing Time" as opposed to "ful-fill-ing time."

    Blessings this New Year. "11" may have been the most challenging year of my life except I can't remember too many others thank God.

    ReplyDelete