6.24.2011

Humble Pie


I like dessert.  I like cakes, ice cream, brownies and especially pies:  cherry pie, peach pie, pumpkin pie and my favorite - apple pie.  But there is one pie that no one likes - the bitter taste of humble pie!

Last week I was watching the NBA finals and saw one of my favorite NBA players, LeBron James, get served a great big piece of humble pie.  I have watched LeBron since he was a 16-year-old kid in high school.

I watched LeBron develop as a young man at St. Vincent - St. Mary High School and once had the opportunity to stand next to him as he shot on the pick-up court when he was a high school junior.  I celebrated as he was drafted by my favorite team, the Cleveland Cavaliers, and cheered for him as he developed into one of the best players in the world.  Last summer, I mourned when he left for Miami and I have to admit I smiled a little when he took a big bite of that humble pie last week. 

This week at Crossroads Church in Cranberry we are finishing our series entitled Surprised by looking at the Surprise of Unplanned Honor.  None of us like the bitter taste of humble pie and in Luke 14:7-14 Jesus shows us how humility allows us to experience the richness of God’s kingdom. 

Join us this week as we continue to be surprised by what Jesus says and does!

No comments:

Post a Comment