12.15.2010

Waiting for the Bride


One of my favorite privileges as a pastor is to lead or officiate weddings.  For me, it is an honor to be with people in such a great moment in life.  Before the ceremony begins, I visit with the bride and groom to pray with them just minutes before their wedding. 

When doing this, I usually visit the bride first. She is usually nervous, emotional, and sometimes even tearful.  She is usually surrounded by her best friends and close family.  After praying with everyone, the tears are flowing.  It is then that I give my final words of advice:  “enjoy the day!”

Then I go visit the guys.   The mood in the room full of guys tends to be a little bit different.  They too are nervous and excited, but the emotions are handled differently.  Some wear their “game face” while others kick back with groomsmen enjoying the humor in the man’s last moments as a bachelor.  In some ways the guys’ waiting area feels a little more like a football locker room. 

I like to look into the eyes of the groom as his men are standing around him before we pray.   I ask him how he feels.  This is usually met with a response like, “I’m excited,” or “I can’t wait to see her.”  In that moment, I look into the eyes of the groom and say, “remember this feeling.  Never forget it.  Because this is how Scripture describes God’s love for you.  He waits for you.  He loves you  and longs for you as a groom waiting for his bride.”

If you are married, think back to your wedding day and remember that feeling.  Know that God loves you with that same intensity.  It has never faded and it never will.

No comments:

Post a Comment