10.08.2010

The Lost Art of Honoring Others


Recently, I have been engaged in a 90-day reading plan of the entire Bible.   (It is going to take me longer than 90-days but that is life.)  One big lesson that has emerged to me as I read through Genesis and Exodus is the idea of honoring others. 

Throughout these books there are incredible stories of individuals who choose to honor those around them; even people who seemingly do not deserve to be honored because of their actions. 

As I thought about this, it seems very counter-cultural to honor others in the world we live in.  Last week I had a conversation with a business leader who described the competitiveness of his current work culture.  Over breakfast he said to me:  “It is either up or out.  There is no in-between. “

I have been reflecting on that and wondering how many times I have acted in a dishonoring fashion because of my own ambition.  “Up or out” leaves very little room for honor.

As you think about this today take a few minutes to think about the people in your life that deserve to be honored.  It may be your parents, your boss, your wife or your pastor.  Take a moment and honor these people in your life. 

Write a note, send an email or simply pull them aside and tell them what they mean to you.  Let them know how much you appreciate them and lift them up.  Also, take a moment to honor the Lord in your heart.  Leviticus 10 says that the Lord will be honored.  He is not just friend; the Lord is your King.  Give him Honor today.


No comments:

Post a Comment