9.08.2010

Daddy


Lately, I have had the pleasure of spending a lot of time with my two daughters.

During this season one of the things I love to watch is how my two year old strives for independence.  I have noticed that when she finds herself in struggle, like putting on her shoes, she often rejects my attempts to help her because of an internal drive to do it herself.  “No, no daddy I do!” 

However, if she has a minor fall or bump on the knee I have noticed the independent spirit disappear. 

In moments when she is frightened or hurt she will call for me.  The other morning she fell down and called for me to come pick her up.  She was crying and as I held her she was clinging to my neck and crying on my shoulder.  This carried on for a couple of seconds as I comforted her, but after the tears I noticed that she did not want to let go.  She just held on and was quiet. 

It was the best part of my day.  One of those moments that you wish could last forever as she just held on to her daddy.  I loved it.

I was thinking about that today and wondered: Does our heavenly father loves those moments as well?

Often in life, I want to do it on my own.  “No, No” I say to my Father.  “I can do it.” 

But there are those moments when I know I need Him.  Those moments when I am afraid, when I am hurt and I have nothing to say.  I think it is in these moments that God our father longs to hold us close.  Those tender moments when we are quiet and held by the love of our Father. 

It just may be the best part of His day as well.



1 comment:

  1. Great thought Mike, Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your time with them, I know I always try to as well. RG

    ReplyDelete