8.03.2010

God of Money

I am currently reading Counterfeit Gods by Timothy Keller. It is a very profound read and here are a couple of thoughts I am wrestling with:


“Man must have an idol-The amassing of wealth is on of the worst species of idolatry. No idol more debasing that the worship of money. Whatever I engage in I must push inordinately therefore should I be careful to choose that life which will be the most elevating in character. To continue much longer overwhelmed by business care and with most of my thoughts wholly upon the way to make more money in the shortest time, must degrade me beyond hope of permanent recovery. I will resign business at thirty five, but during the ensuing two years, I wish to spend the afternoons securing instruction and in reading systematically.” Andrew Carnegie



  • Money will be the primary God of Western Culture-Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Greed is especially hard to see in our own lives.
  • Have you ever thought: ”I spend too much on myself?”
  • Jesus warns us more about greed than sex and almost no one thinks they are guilty of it.
  • Nowhere is slavery more evident than in the blindness of greedy people to their own materialism. (Luke 16:13-15)
  • Jesus, the God-Man, had infinite wealth, but if he had held on to it, we would have died in our spiritual poverty. (2 Cor 8:9)
  • When you see Jesus dying to make you his treasure, that will make him yours. Money will cease to be the currency of your significance and security, and you will want to bless others with what you have.
  • The God of money cannot be removed. It can only be replaced. It must be supplanted by the one who, though rich, became poor, so that we might truly be rich.

1 comment: